Types of Tickets
- A basic fare ticket is required for boarding any trains.
- In order to board a Limited Express, a limited express ticket is required in addition to a basic fare ticket.
- For reserved seats on a Limited express, a reserved seat ticket is required in addition to a basic fare ticket and limited express ticket.
Types of Tickets
|Train Type(in Hokkaido)||Local train||Rapid train||Limited Express||Shinkansen|
|Stops||Stops at every station.
Some trains do not stop at some stations.
|Does not stop at some stations.||Stops only at major stations.||Stops only at Shinkansen Stations.|
|Car Type||All cars are
|Non-reserved Seat||Reserved Seat||Non-reserved
Car Types of Limited Express Train
There are two types ̶ Ordinary Cars and First-class cars (Green Cars).
The difference between Ordinary cars and First-class cars (Green Cars)
Compared to Ordinary Cars, First-class cars (Green Cars) offer more spacious seating, allowing you to have a more comfortable and relaxing trip.
First-Class Car (Green Car)
The date, car, time of departure and arrival and seat number are arranged in advance, so you are guaranteed seating.
You can ride at any time of your choosing in a Non-reserved seat car, with seating depending on availability (ticket must be used on the same day of purchase). As there is no designated seating, seating may potentially be unavailable during crowded times.
|Adult||Age 12 and older|
|Child||Age 6 – 11|
|Baby||Age 1 – 5|
|Infant||Less than 1 year old|
Fares for Children
Childrens' Basic fare, Limited express, Express and Reserved seat tickets are 50% of the adult price (rounded down by 10 yen or less). Childrens' First-class car (Green Car), Berth, and numbered boarding tickets at boarding are the same price as adult tickets.
Fares for Babies and Infants
Babies and infants travel for free, except tickets in the following cases:
- When three or more babies accompany one adult or child (tickets are required for the third and any additional babies).
- When a baby or infant occupies his or her own reserved seat, Green Car seat, berth, etc.
- When a baby travels alone.
- When a baby travels in a tour group.