Ticket Changes and Refunds
Changing Unused Tickets
- A valid unused ticket can be changed only once to a different t icket of the same category (excluding Commuter passes, Books of tickets, Discount tickets, etc.) without any handling charges (but there are some exceptions). In this case, any difference in the fare will be collected, and when there is a balance left over, this will be repaid to you.
- If a second change is necessary, please request a refund at a JR Ticket Office in stations or travel agencies, and then purchas e your new desired ticket.
- A reserved seat ticket can only be changed before the departure of the train on which the original seat was reserved. The ticket is not valid after the train's departure.
- Changes for reserved-seat tickets can be made at any JR Ticket Counter (Midori-no-madoguchi) during business hours.
- Changes for tickets purchased by credit card at travel agencies and so on can only be made at the same original place of purchase.
Changes after the Start of Your Trip
- Tickets can be changed after the start of a trip ̶ any fare ba lances and surcharges required must be paid, but previously pai d fares or charges will not be refunded except for ordinary basic fare tickets with an unused segment of at least 101 km.
- Any unused, valid ticket can be refunded after deduction of the cancellation charge specified below.
|Type of Ticket||Conditions for Refunding Tickets||Cancellation Charge|
|Basic fare ticket
Book of tickets
Ordinary express ticket
Unreserved seat limited express ticket
|Within period of validity before use||220 yen|
|Reserved tickets||Standing limited express ticket||Prior to time of departure||220 yen|
|Reserved seat limited express ticket||Two days prior to train's departure||340 yen|
|Reserved seat green car ticket
Reserved seat ticket
|From the day before departure until time of departure||30%
340 yen being the lowest charge amount
|Discount Tickets||Conditions vary depending on ticket — please consult with JR staff.|
- Tickets purchased using a credit card can only be refunded at the JR Ticket Counter, etc. where originally purchased.